CCC Fort Meade
On June 8, 2014 The Fort Meade Museum hosted a discussion on the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in South Dakota. Museum Director Robert Kusser and staff provided a comfortable venue for the event.
Peggy Sanders from Hill City was to present a program about the Civilian Conservation Corp's (CCC's) in the Black Hills 1 pm on Sunday June 8th. Due to a scheduling conflict Peggy called on Peg Aplan, President of the Old Fort Meade Museum and Historic Research Association to direct the event and Otto Bochman who has visited several CCC Campsites, to fill in.
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused lands. The Army built 48 200-man camps in South Dakota and provided food, clothing, medical care, pay and programs of education, recreation and religion for 23,709 enrollees (single men aged who sent $25 of their $30 wage to their families) and war veterans. Camps and work projects were supervised by another 2834 men. The Office of Indian Affairs ran smaller units for 4554 American Indians.
This Map Large (if available)
This Map Large (If Available)
Mapping is based on best available information. New or changed addresses may not be availble. Use the map for general location. For exact directions always verify for yourself.
All Text and Photos are Copyright Protected by International Law. All Logos and Trademarks mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.